Do you have a question about volcanoes, earthquakes, mountains,
rocks, maps, ground water, lakes, rivers, beaches, or oceans?
You can email or text* earth science questions to:
Your Subject line MUST include the word “Question” so we can block
USGS scientists have answered over 35,543 Ask-A-Geologist questions since 1994.
- We won't answer test questions.
We can't answer questions with direct financial impacts.
- We can't recommend products or companies.
- Each question goes to a different USGS scientist.
- You should get an answer in a few days.
- Some questions don't get replies,
because of limited resources and spam.
*Message and Data rates apply.
Other sources of information:
USGS Educational Resources
USGS Frequently Asked Questions
USGS Library Frequently Asked Questions
Ask An Expert
(not maintained by USGS)