Coastal and Marine Geology Metadata and Data
Dictionaries: Data Dictionary Metadata Dictionary
- "Vector" and "Polygon" information represent lines as a series of points.
- Each "line" is preceded by a "header" that indicates the start of a vector and may include attribute information (e.g., contour value).
- "Polygon" information (as used here) refers to a specific format.
- Vector/polygon information are commonly used for coastlines, bathymetry contours, topographic contours, contacts, tracklines, political boundaries,
roads, streams, etc.
- Vector/polygon information are commonly derived by digitizing, by scanning, or from contouring applications.
- Polygon information can be converted into "scattered data" or into data sets to load into ARC/INFO.
- Vector/polygon information occurs as:
- polygon -- polygon files containing coastlines, bathymetry contours, topographic contours, contacts, tracklines, political boundaries, roads, and streams information from a variety of sources.