Pacific Coastal & Marine Science Center
|Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Project, 1999
- The USGS will complete the image processing of acoustic data collected in the last three years, converting swaths of individual tracks into mosaics covering the shelf out to the 120-m isobath.
- Preliminary work will be carried out leading to the creation of a CD-ROM atlas of data from this project, planned for publication in 1999.
- Replenishment of the environmental monitoring moorings will ultimately result in a full two-year recording period for this transect, that incidentally will span the 1997-98 El Niño event.
- Acoustic imagery of the broad shelf north of Año Nuevo awaits funding and equipment opportunities; a cooperative venture with NOAA, in the planning stages, is a possibility.
- The USGS will continue monitoring the changes in Monterey Bay beach profiles , a program that has continued since 1984.
- Hydrocarbon analysis for source signatures, on both beach deposits and from our seafloor samples, will continue in the laboratory.