Do you have a question about volcanoes, earthquakes, mountains, rocks, maps, ground water, lakes, rivers, beaches, or oceans?
Email your earth science question to:
Your Subject line MUST include the word “Question” so we can block spam!
USGS scientists have answered over 60,000 Ask-A-Geologist questions since 1994.
- We won't answer test questions.
- We won't write reports.
- We can't answer questions with direct financial impacts.
- We can't recommend products or companies.
- We can’t identify most rocks from photos. Please don’t send rock photos.
- Each question goes to a different USGS scientist.
- Teachers: We can answer about 6 questions per day total.
Consider spreading out class assignments over several days.
- You should get an answer in a few days.
- Some questions don't get replies,
because of limited resources and spam.
- You won’t get our reply if you block email from unknown senders.
We reply from many different addresses, and we don’t fill out “approved sender” forms for security reasons.
- We answer about 70% of real questions.
Other sources of information:
USGS Educational Resources
USGS Frequently Asked Questions
USGS Library Frequently Asked Questions
Ask An Expert (not maintained by USGS)